Shelbi Dupre, Bachelor of Public Health ’20

Shelbi DupreMajor: Public Health

Minor: Health Promotion

Hometown: Melbourne, FL

Why major in public health?
The public health major has opened my eyes to the limitless opportunities I have to pursue my passions of public health and medicine. This major introduces students to the endless possibilities we have to solve some of the most daunting issues in the global health. The classes prepare individuals to challenge themselves to think critically and change the face of public health.

What is most interesting about public health?
The most interesting thing about public health is the interdisciplinary and wide variety of opportunities in this field to help improve quality of life.

Why did you choose UF?
I chose UF because of the way this university empowers adults to take on this world with skill sets that can make change. The rigorous courses and intelligent staff push the students to think deeper and grow. Also, as always, go gators.

What experience at UF has been most influential?
The most influential experience at UF has been my ability to engage with the Gainesville community through serving in local service events such as the Big Event, but also through research. I have had the privilege to volunteer with research to look at the social networks of Latino adolescents in North Florida.

Do you participate in extracurriculars? If so which?
I have the privilege to serve as the Vice President of Doulos Student Ministry, a chapter woman of the Chi Omega sorority, Panhellenic Recruitment counselor, and research volunteer.

Do you have any jobs while in college? What do you do?
I am a childcare specialist at Christ Community Church.

What are your professional goals?
My professional goal is to combine my passion for medicine and public health through a career opportunity that can offer that. I hope to have a PhD in Nursing and a Masters of Public Health.

What do you like to do for fun?
I love to go to the Farmers Market on Wednesday’s in downtown, find quiet coffee shops in Gainesville, watch movies with my friends, and try some good food around town.

What advice do you have for prospective students?
I would encourage them to challenge themselves with the endless opportunities UF and Gainesville offer. Serve the community you live in, establish a community of friends, and do a major that you have a passion for. These four years are here for you to learn more about yourself and create the start of your careers. This community and university can be a place where you grow and find new hobbies.